What stores are offering layaway for Christmas this year (2013)?
Here are the current stores offering layaway plans that I have found so far. If you hear of any others, please let me know so I can update this post for everyone’s benefit.
If you can start a layaway plan now, you can avoid the crowds, insure that you get the “hot” gifts, and spread your payments out over time without using credit cards.
Kmart – layaway available both online and in stores
- Eligible items: Most items (if you shop online, look for the words “Available for Layaway” on product pages)
- Requires down and biweekly payments – you can pay online and arrange your pickup online
- Upfront fee: $0 through Nov. 23
- Non-refundable cancellation fee applies (no cancellation fee in Ohio)
- Not available in all Kmart stores
- The 12 week layaway option is available on purchases over $300
- ShopYourWay members earn up to $10 back in points when a layaway contract is completed, in store only. Exclusions apply, see store for details.
:: HERE IS A $3 OFF a $10 TOY PURCHASE FOR KMART. You can use it online, in stores, or show it on your mobile phone: Get your Kmart toy coupon here.
- Eligible items: All toys at Toys “R” Us and most items at Babies “R” Us ~ in store only
- Down payment: 20 percent
- Upfront fee: $0
- Deposit 10% of the total cost
- Cancellation fee: $10
- Final payment due: Dec. 15th 2013
- Available: In stores only
- Make payments at the register
Walmart– now free with no fees for 2013
Begins September 13th and ends December 13th
- Eligible items: Toys, electronics, small appliances, jewelry, and select sporting goods (Note: Each item must be $15-plus and the total purchase must be more than $50.)
- Down payment: $10 or 10 percent, whichever is greater
- Upfront fee: No fees
- Cancellation fee: $10 – no cancellation fee in Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island, or the District of Columbia.
- Available: In stores only
Sears – in stores and online (12 week option only available in stores)
- Shop for virtually anything. Bring your items to any register in the store or add to your shopping cart online.
- Make your down payment. View sample payment table
- Make payments every two weeks online or at any Sears register. Use cash, check or debit/credit card.
- Pick up your items if they are held at the store. For items held at the warehouse, schedule a pick-up or delivery time
- 8-week option Service Fee is $5 for all new layaway contracts.
- Cancellation Fee is $15 for all new layaway contracts.
- Down Payment is $20 or 20% (whichever is greater) and is collected when merchandise is put on layaway.
- 4 Easy Payments of balance due are required after down payment for an 8-week layaway contract.
- Go HERE to get the details for a 12 week layaway option (in stores only)
Buckle offers a layaway service which allows our guests to reserve merchandise with a required minimum 20% deposit down. Merchandise put on layaway is kept in the guest’s local Buckle store until the balance is paid off in full. A payment plan of every two (2) weeks is suggested, but can be paid sooner; all layaways must be paid within 60 days to the store, or the merchandise will be placed back on the floor. There are no service fees or interest charges applied to creating or canceling a layaway.
- Shop in stores and take your layaway merchandise to the customer service desk
- 20% deposit required. Final payment due by 12/24/2013 to receive the promotion
- $5 fee (plus tax where applicable) – Now $5 back! Receive a $5 promotional card when you complete your layaway by 12/24/2013
- $10 cancellation fee (plus tax where applicable) upon any change to layaway or if layaway is returned to stock
- Refunds of layaway deposits and payments will receive a gift card
GameStop – ** the GameStop website lists 2012 and has not been updated with 2013 dates
- A $25 minimum deposit is required to start a layaway contract.
- Trades are acceptable as a form of payment.
- All layaway payments and product pickup must be made at the store where the original layaway deposit was made.
- Customers are not required to make scheduled payments.
- A refund on a layaway deposit will be granted at anytime by returning to the store where the original deposit was made.
- There are no fees or penalties associated with the layaway reservation/ purchase.
Stores That May Offer Layaway – check with your individual store:
Big Lots – at many locations they have a “price hold” for furniture where you put 10% down and they will hold it for 90 days. Ask the management for details.
Dress Barn – We invite you to visit any dressbarn location and ask a Sales Associate to assist you with your layaway.
TJ Maxx, Marshalls, and AJ Wright) all owned by TJX Company – many stores (but not all of them) offer layaway. At most stores a 10% down payment is required with a $5 fee and 30 days to pay. some items such as jewelry and clearance are excluded.
Will Not Be Offering Layaway for 2013:
Best Buy- After searching through the Best Buy website, it looks like they will not be offering layaway for 2013. If you hear different information, please let me know! This was posted on 8/29/13 by a Best Buy associate; ” From what I understand however, we do not plan to bring back layaway in our stores for this holiday or beyond. I hope this doesn’t impact your holiday shopping decision with us too much!”
If you are new to More With Less Today, welcome to my FREE blog. I search every day to find more ways to trim expenses, save money, stretch our resources and to give back from our surplus. I hope you will become a regular reader.