Have you noticed how easy Walmart is making layaway this year? I was in my local Walmart yesterday and they have a large display in the front of the store.
You can find a hang tag for a popular item and just take the tag right to the layaway counter and have the item put on layaway.
If you start your layaway now, you have until December 15, 2014 to pick it up. You don’t have to make regular payments on a schedule. The layaway just needs to be paid in by December 15th. The exception to this (according to my call to customer service,) is that if you layaway is for under $100, then you have 60 days to pick it up but all layaways must be picked up and completed by December 15th.
Here is more information about Walmart’s layaway plan for 2014.
Walmart Layaway for 2014
Notable – no layaway for online purchases, no Walmart layaway available on Friday, November 28th (Black Friday), $10 gets you started, no opening fee and cancellations are subject to a $10 charge.
Here are the details from the Walmart.com home page:
Layaway is available in stores this holiday season from September 12, 2014 through December 15, 2014. Certain store locations offer layaway year round for jewelry purchases only. Layaway is not offered for online purchases.
How it works:
- There’s no opening fee
- Down payment is $10 or 10%, whichever is greater
- Minimums – Individual items must be $15 or greater. Total purchases must be $50 or greater
- Terms – Final payment and pickup must be made on or before December 15 at the same store layaway was initiated (or order will be canceled).
- Cancellation – If account is canceled, items will be returned to inventory. Down payment and payments made will be refunded, less a $10 cancellation fee.
- Returns – Walmart Returns Policy applies to all layaway transactions.
Pickup & pay:
- Location – Layaway is initiated and picked up at the Service Desk. Payments can be made at any register.
- Timing – Some layaway items may be stored at a location other than where the layaway account was opened. All items stored remotely will be available for pickup within 10 days of paying the balance due, but no later than December 15, 2014.
- In stores only (not available for online purchases)
- Available for electronics, toys, select sporting goods, small appliances and jewelry
- Excludes wireless phones that require contracts.
- Layaway not available on Friday, November 28th.
See your local Walmart store’s service desk for more details.
Using layaway wisely can help you to save money and time and take the guesswork out of holiday spending.