Walmart’s New Layaway Plan – How Does It Work?

by Lori. LAST UPDATED ON
The links in the post below may be affiliate links. Read the full disclosure.

Have you noticed how easy Walmart is making layaway this year? I was in my local Walmart yesterday and they have a large display in the front of the store.

NEW: Walmart has just announced their Black Friday Pre-Event Price Matching Policy. From November 21st to November 27th, while supplies last, Walmart will be matching or beating various Black Friday offers from their national competitors. They’ll also be offering Black Friday-esque prices on certain items as part of the event.

walmart layaway 2014

You can find a hang tag for a popular item and just take the tag right to the layaway counter and have the item put on layaway.

walmart layaway

If you start your layaway now, you have until December 15, 2014 to pick it up. You don’t have to make regular payments on a schedule. The layaway just needs to be paid in by December 15th. The exception to this (according to my call to customer service,) is that if you layaway is for under $100, then you have 60 days to pick it up but all layaways must be picked up and completed by December 15th.

walmart layaway 2

Here is more information about Walmart’s new layaway plan for 2014.

Walmart Layaway for 2014

Notable – no layaway for online purchases, no Walmart layaway available on Friday, November 28th (Black Friday), $10 gets you started, no opening fee and cancellations are subject to a $10 charge.

Here are the details from the Walmart.com home page:

Layaway is available in stores this holiday season from September 12, 2014 through December 15, 2014. Certain store locations offer layaway year round for jewelry purchases only. Layaway is not offered for online purchases.

Layaway information:

How it works:

• There’s no opening fee
  • Down payment is $10 or 10%, whichever is greater

The rules:

• Minimums – Individual items must be $15 or greater. Total purchases must be $50 or greater
  • Terms – Final payment and pickup must be made on or before December 15 at the same store layaway was initiated (or order will be canceled).
  • Cancellation – If account is canceled, items will be returned to inventory. Down payment and payments made will be refunded, less a $10 cancellation fee.
  • Returns – Walmart Returns Policy applies to all layaway transactions.

Pickup & pay:

• Location – Layaway is initiated and picked up at the Service Desk. Payments can be made at any register.
  • Timing – Some layaway items may be stored at a location other than where the layaway account was opened. All items stored remotely will be available for pickup within 10 days of paying the balance due, but no later than December 15, 2014.

Restrictions:

• In stores only (not available for online purchases)
  • Available for electronics, toys, select sporting goods, small appliances and jewelry
  • Excludes wireless phones that require contracts.
  • Layaway not available on Friday, November 28th.

See your local Walmart store’s service desk for more details.

Using layaway wisely can help you to save money and time and take the guesswork out of holiday spending.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Walmart – New Savings Catcher Program

Walmart Clearance Outlet

What Can You Put on Layaway at Walmart?

Walmart Clearance Today on 1400 Items

Toys R Us and Babies R Us Layaway

Kmart No Money Down Layaway

Don’t miss any important updates and savings strategies!

Stay tuned to More with Less Today for all the holiday bargains, deals, and discounts that I will be finding for 2014. Join us through our free email newsletter, or Facebook page.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

Here are the recent promo codes and current offers at Walmart from Savings.com:

Promo codes provided by Savings.com

Melodyj September 11, 2011 at 1:16 am

Also Buckle stores offer layaway.

I’m glad Walmart brought it back. I remember the year that it ended. I ran into a friend from high school and college. She was at Walmart putting everything she could on layaway before it ended.

Theresa October 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Being an older University student this gives my husband and I a chance to give my children a christmas they deserve. Last year was heartbreaking when they only had a few presents and the presents weren’t even what they wanted. Being on a tight budget did not allow us to do that but with this layaway plan we can afford to get everything they want and put a fraction of the price down every pay day :)

Lori October 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

yes Theresa, I was happy to see Walmart bring this back. I hope you will continue to follow More With Less Today. I love to find free or practically free things that we can stash away for gift giving. I love to give gifts and I can’t let that bust my budget, so I buy them throughout the year when I see a great deal. I also love to grab these freebies to give away and donate. Blessings to you and your family, Lori

Elisa October 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm

yeah I am glad they r bringing back layaway for Christmas being a self employed person from September to January is always slow and sometimes hard to buy my children what they are asking for at Christmas also my son was born on Christmas eve and with layaway back Ill be able to get him a couple more thing… thanks

Vivian Stahlhut October 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Big Lots offers layaway, but they call it Price Hold. It is layaway for certain items like their furniture, couchs, recliners, tables, etc.

michele October 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

walmart should leave the layaway department running all year it opens up more jobs and allows customers a chance to get for their children in these hard times that we are all in no matter what their finances are. walmart is one of the top retail company running if those smaller can do this for the people why can’t they. sam walton was for the people and did what he could to help his associates and customers wonder what he is thinking of his company and it’s leaders now

Sherry F. October 23, 2011 at 1:29 am

When I went to walmarts layaway line it was empty. Some of us spend our money on things that are useful like clothes and coats. They only take toys and electronics. and they have to be a certain price for an item. You still have the best for shopping Walmart but you’re going to lose it because of the layaway department.. Kmart still has it going on in the layaway department. Better watch it walmart you just might lose out.

jeanne October 29, 2011 at 2:36 am

So long as I put fifty dollars worth of “stuff” on faraway, I don’t think it should matter the cost of an item! My grandkids are not that old and don’t need a lot of expensive toys!

linda September 24, 2012 at 2:07 am

What about cribs, baby bedding, carseats and strollers or is the layaway only for toys and electronics?

Lori September 24, 2012 at 3:47 am

Linda, the Walmart layaway is only for the items mentioned-not baby items. However you can layaway almost anything at Kmart including baby items, online or in stores with no fees at all. It is a very flexible and comprehensive program. Hope that helps you, Lori.

Lori October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for your comments. You may want to try Kmart for your layaway. They are offering layaway for all items and are not charging a fee. All my best, Lori

Kris September 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

What about clothing?

Lori September 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

no Kris, Walmart does not include clothing in the layaway program, but Kmart does.