Walmart’s New Layaway Plan – How Does It Work?

The links in the post below may be affiliate links. Read the full disclosure.

walmart layaway 2014

Readers have been asking about Walmart’s new layaway plan for 2015

Walmart’s new layaway plan for 2015 started on August 28th and layaway must be completed by December 14th.

Walmart layaway is available for electronics, automotive electronics, toys, select sporting goods, small appliances and furniture. Excludes wireless phones that require contracts. Layaway is not available on November 26th (Thanksgiving).

Here are some of the features:

No opening fee
Only pay $10 or 10%, whichever is greater
You have 90 days to pay for your layaway and must pick up your items and pay for them by 12/14
Items must be $10+; total purchase must be at least $50

Available in store only, not online

walmart layaway 2

Look for the layaway tag in stores on eligible items. See your local Walmart store service desk for more details.

Using layaway wisely can help you to save money and time and take the guesswork out of holiday spending.

Sears Layaway

Toys R Us and Babies R Us Layaway

Kmart No Money Down Layaway

Don’t miss any important updates and savings strategies!

Stay tuned to More with Less Today for all the holiday bargains, deals, and discounts that I will be finding for 2015. Join us through our free email newsletter. USA, LLC

Here are the recent promo codes and current offers at Walmart from

Promo codes provided by

Melodyj September 11, 2011 at 1:16 am

Also Buckle stores offer layaway.

I’m glad Walmart brought it back. I remember the year that it ended. I ran into a friend from high school and college. She was at Walmart putting everything she could on layaway before it ended.

Theresa October 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Being an older University student this gives my husband and I a chance to give my children a christmas they deserve. Last year was heartbreaking when they only had a few presents and the presents weren’t even what they wanted. Being on a tight budget did not allow us to do that but with this layaway plan we can afford to get everything they want and put a fraction of the price down every pay day :)

Lori October 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

yes Theresa, I was happy to see Walmart bring this back. I hope you will continue to follow More With Less Today. I love to find free or practically free things that we can stash away for gift giving. I love to give gifts and I can’t let that bust my budget, so I buy them throughout the year when I see a great deal. I also love to grab these freebies to give away and donate. Blessings to you and your family, Lori

Elisa October 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm

yeah I am glad they r bringing back layaway for Christmas being a self employed person from September to January is always slow and sometimes hard to buy my children what they are asking for at Christmas also my son was born on Christmas eve and with layaway back Ill be able to get him a couple more thing… thanks

Vivian Stahlhut October 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Big Lots offers layaway, but they call it Price Hold. It is layaway for certain items like their furniture, couchs, recliners, tables, etc.

michele October 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

walmart should leave the layaway department running all year it opens up more jobs and allows customers a chance to get for their children in these hard times that we are all in no matter what their finances are. walmart is one of the top retail company running if those smaller can do this for the people why can’t they. sam walton was for the people and did what he could to help his associates and customers wonder what he is thinking of his company and it’s leaders now

Sherry F. October 23, 2011 at 1:29 am

When I went to walmarts layaway line it was empty. Some of us spend our money on things that are useful like clothes and coats. They only take toys and electronics. and they have to be a certain price for an item. You still have the best for shopping Walmart but you’re going to lose it because of the layaway department.. Kmart still has it going on in the layaway department. Better watch it walmart you just might lose out.

jeanne October 29, 2011 at 2:36 am

So long as I put fifty dollars worth of “stuff” on faraway, I don’t think it should matter the cost of an item! My grandkids are not that old and don’t need a lot of expensive toys!

linda September 24, 2012 at 2:07 am

What about cribs, baby bedding, carseats and strollers or is the layaway only for toys and electronics?

Lori September 24, 2012 at 3:47 am

Linda, the Walmart layaway is only for the items mentioned-not baby items. However you can layaway almost anything at Kmart including baby items, online or in stores with no fees at all. It is a very flexible and comprehensive program. Hope that helps you, Lori.

Lori October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for your comments. You may want to try Kmart for your layaway. They are offering layaway for all items and are not charging a fee. All my best, Lori

Kris September 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

What about clothing?

Lori September 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

no Kris, Walmart does not include clothing in the layaway program, but Kmart does.

Michael August 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Our Walmart has signs up saying Layaway starts August 28th, 2015. It ends in the middle of December, can’t remember the exact date. But they’re advertising it now.

kAREN October 23, 2015 at 7:27 am

I have used Walmart’s layaway in the past and was glad to see that it is back again this year. That being said, I wish that they would rethink their $10.00 minimum per item rule. My grandson is 4 and wants smaller items too that are $3 to $7 each. I can understand a minimum total purchase price but not the per item. I think that they would find that they would have more people take advantage of layaway. Plus, some people who have 3 or 4 children (or more) maybe can only afford a few $5.00 per child and this is not beneficial to them.

Jessica November 2, 2015 at 12:14 pm

im wondering if Walmart or kmart is better for layaway? I am a single mom on a very tight budget, doesn’t really need clothes but I was looking at more like a bike, scooter, ps3 and toys maybe some bedroom stuff?

Lori November 3, 2015 at 9:24 am

great question! If you have a Kmart nearby, and can combine that with a free Shop Your Way account (go here to sign up and I can help you to navigate the site) You will get free point offers, earn points on your purchases, and I will send you extra coupons. My readers really save all year long. Once we are connected at Shop Your Way, you can send me a private message and I will help you to find the lowest prices for your gifts. I love to do this for my readers!