Walmart’s New Layaway Plan – How Does It Work?

by Lori. LAST UPDATED ON
The links in the post below may be affiliate links. Read the full disclosure.

walmart layaway 2014

Walmart Layaway for 2014 has not been officially announced yet, but I have made a few phone calls and I have been told that this year, 2014, Walmart’s layaway will start in stores nationwide on September 16th and run through December 14th. If you “like” your local Walmart store on Facebook, you can get access to the 2014 Walmart layaway program on September 14th.

Last year, Walmart included jewelry, electronics and toys in their layaway program and this year they are adding small home appliances and select sporting goods.

So this is an early “heads up” and is not yet officially announced by Walmart. As soon as the official 2014 Walmart layaway rules are posted, I will update you right here.

Be sure and follow More with Less Today, or you can enter your email at the top of the home page and get my updates sent right to your inbox. I plan to show my readers all the best tips, tricks, and deals available for the holiday season!

WALMART’S LAYAWAY PROGRAM FROM LAST YEAR:

If we look at the details from Walmart’s layaway from last year, we can anticipate that it will start in the middle of September and end in the middle of December. As soon as the 2014 Walmart layaway is announced, I will post the information here, so bookmark this post and check back!

Here are the details from the last year:

This year, shoppers will be able to layaway infant toys and automotive accessories such as speakers and stereos in addition to small appliances, large exercise equipment,  some sporting goods such as trampolines, toys and electronics of $15 or more, including dolls, bicycles, video games and televisions,

Walmart will require that each item be priced at $15 or higher and the total of your layaway purchase must be at least $50.

A down payment of $10 or 10% will be required, whichever is greater and that will be applied toward the purchase. New this year, there is no fee to open the account. There is a $10 fee if the order is cancelled, however cancellation fees do not apply in Ohio, Maryland, Rhode Island or the District of Columbia.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Walmart – New Savings Catcher Program

Walmart Clearance Outlet

What Can You Put on Layaway at Walmart?

Walmart Clearance Today on 1400 Items

Toys R Us and Babies R Us Layaway

Don’t miss any important updates and savings strategies!

Stay tuned to More with Less Today for all the holiday bargains, deals, and discounts that I will be finding for 2014. Join us through our free email newsletter, or Facebook page.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

Here are the recent promo codes and current offers at Walmart from Savings.com:

Promo codes provided by Savings.com

Melodyj September 11, 2011 at 1:16 am

Also Buckle stores offer layaway.

I’m glad Walmart brought it back. I remember the year that it ended. I ran into a friend from high school and college. She was at Walmart putting everything she could on layaway before it ended.

Theresa October 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Being an older University student this gives my husband and I a chance to give my children a christmas they deserve. Last year was heartbreaking when they only had a few presents and the presents weren’t even what they wanted. Being on a tight budget did not allow us to do that but with this layaway plan we can afford to get everything they want and put a fraction of the price down every pay day :)

Lori October 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

yes Theresa, I was happy to see Walmart bring this back. I hope you will continue to follow More With Less Today. I love to find free or practically free things that we can stash away for gift giving. I love to give gifts and I can’t let that bust my budget, so I buy them throughout the year when I see a great deal. I also love to grab these freebies to give away and donate. Blessings to you and your family, Lori

Elisa October 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm

yeah I am glad they r bringing back layaway for Christmas being a self employed person from September to January is always slow and sometimes hard to buy my children what they are asking for at Christmas also my son was born on Christmas eve and with layaway back Ill be able to get him a couple more thing… thanks

Vivian Stahlhut October 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Big Lots offers layaway, but they call it Price Hold. It is layaway for certain items like their furniture, couchs, recliners, tables, etc.

michele October 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

walmart should leave the layaway department running all year it opens up more jobs and allows customers a chance to get for their children in these hard times that we are all in no matter what their finances are. walmart is one of the top retail company running if those smaller can do this for the people why can’t they. sam walton was for the people and did what he could to help his associates and customers wonder what he is thinking of his company and it’s leaders now

Sherry F. October 23, 2011 at 1:29 am

When I went to walmarts layaway line it was empty. Some of us spend our money on things that are useful like clothes and coats. They only take toys and electronics. and they have to be a certain price for an item. You still have the best for shopping Walmart but you’re going to lose it because of the layaway department.. Kmart still has it going on in the layaway department. Better watch it walmart you just might lose out.

jeanne October 29, 2011 at 2:36 am

So long as I put fifty dollars worth of “stuff” on faraway, I don’t think it should matter the cost of an item! My grandkids are not that old and don’t need a lot of expensive toys!

linda September 24, 2012 at 2:07 am

What about cribs, baby bedding, carseats and strollers or is the layaway only for toys and electronics?

Lori September 24, 2012 at 3:47 am

Linda, the Walmart layaway is only for the items mentioned-not baby items. However you can layaway almost anything at Kmart including baby items, online or in stores with no fees at all. It is a very flexible and comprehensive program. Hope that helps you, Lori.

Lori October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for your comments. You may want to try Kmart for your layaway. They are offering layaway for all items and are not charging a fee. All my best, Lori

Kris September 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

What about clothing?

Lori September 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

no Kris, Walmart does not include clothing in the layaway program, but Kmart does.