Walmart’s New Layaway Plan – How Does It Work?

by Lori. LAST UPDATED ON
The links in the post below may be affiliate links. Read the full disclosure.

Are you looking for Walmart 2016 layaway information for Christmas layaway? The Walmart layaway program is a popular way to pay a little over time.

Readers have been asking about Walmart’s new layaway plan.

** We confirmed that 2016 Walmart layaway will begin on September 2nd.

Did you know???

Walmart has a clearance outlet and you can take advantage of the deep discounts online.

Walmart has hundreds of items on clearance right now with prices as low as $1.98. Right now there are clearance deals on electronics, home, clothing, baby, toys, sports, outdoors, and home improvement.

Here is the Walmart layaway information from last year, just so you can get an idea of what to expect for Christmas layaway at Walmart for 2016:

Walmart’s new layaway plan for 2015 started on August 28th and layaway was over on  December 14th.

Walmart layaway is available for electronics, automotive electronics, toys, select sporting goods, small appliances and furniture. Excludes wireless phones that require contracts. Layaway is not available on November 26th (Thanksgiving).

Here are some of the features:

No opening fee
Only pay $10 or 10%, whichever is greater
You have 90 days to pay for your layaway and must pick up your items and pay for them by 12/14
Items must be $10+; total purchase must be at least $50

Available in store only, not online

Christmas layaway at Walmart

Look for the layaway tag in stores on eligible items. See your local Walmart store service desk for more details.

Using layaway wisely can help you to save money and time and take the guesswork out of holiday spending.

YOU MAY ALSO LIKE:

Sears Layaway

Toys R Us and Babies R Us Layaway

Kmart No Money Down Layaway

Don’t miss any important updates and savings strategies!

Stay tuned to More with Less Today for all the holiday bargains, deals, and discounts that I will be finding for 2015. Join our free email newsletter.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

Here are the recent promo codes and current offers at Walmart from Savings.com:

Promo codes provided by Savings.com

Melodyj September 11, 2011 at 1:16 am

Also Buckle stores offer layaway.

I’m glad Walmart brought it back. I remember the year that it ended. I ran into a friend from high school and college. She was at Walmart putting everything she could on layaway before it ended.

Theresa October 6, 2011 at 5:52 pm

Being an older University student this gives my husband and I a chance to give my children a christmas they deserve. Last year was heartbreaking when they only had a few presents and the presents weren’t even what they wanted. Being on a tight budget did not allow us to do that but with this layaway plan we can afford to get everything they want and put a fraction of the price down every pay day 🙂

Lori October 6, 2011 at 6:00 pm

yes Theresa, I was happy to see Walmart bring this back. I hope you will continue to follow More With Less Today. I love to find free or practically free things that we can stash away for gift giving. I love to give gifts and I can’t let that bust my budget, so I buy them throughout the year when I see a great deal. I also love to grab these freebies to give away and donate. Blessings to you and your family, Lori

Elisa October 11, 2011 at 4:09 pm

yeah I am glad they r bringing back layaway for Christmas being a self employed person from September to January is always slow and sometimes hard to buy my children what they are asking for at Christmas also my son was born on Christmas eve and with layaway back Ill be able to get him a couple more thing… thanks

Vivian Stahlhut October 11, 2011 at 8:51 pm

Big Lots offers layaway, but they call it Price Hold. It is layaway for certain items like their furniture, couchs, recliners, tables, etc.

michele October 21, 2011 at 2:14 pm

walmart should leave the layaway department running all year it opens up more jobs and allows customers a chance to get for their children in these hard times that we are all in no matter what their finances are. walmart is one of the top retail company running if those smaller can do this for the people why can’t they. sam walton was for the people and did what he could to help his associates and customers wonder what he is thinking of his company and it’s leaders now

Sherry F. October 23, 2011 at 1:29 am

When I went to walmarts layaway line it was empty. Some of us spend our money on things that are useful like clothes and coats. They only take toys and electronics. and they have to be a certain price for an item. You still have the best for shopping Walmart but you’re going to lose it because of the layaway department.. Kmart still has it going on in the layaway department. Better watch it walmart you just might lose out.

jeanne October 29, 2011 at 2:36 am

So long as I put fifty dollars worth of “stuff” on faraway, I don’t think it should matter the cost of an item! My grandkids are not that old and don’t need a lot of expensive toys!

linda September 24, 2012 at 2:07 am

What about cribs, baby bedding, carseats and strollers or is the layaway only for toys and electronics?

Lori September 24, 2012 at 3:47 am

Linda, the Walmart layaway is only for the items mentioned-not baby items. However you can layaway almost anything at Kmart including baby items, online or in stores with no fees at all. It is a very flexible and comprehensive program. Hope that helps you, Lori.

Lori October 18, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Thanks for your comments. You may want to try Kmart for your layaway. They are offering layaway for all items and are not charging a fee. All my best, Lori

Kris September 18, 2013 at 7:52 pm

What about clothing?

Lori September 18, 2013 at 9:10 pm

no Kris, Walmart does not include clothing in the layaway program, but Kmart does.

Michael August 13, 2015 at 9:27 pm

Our Walmart has signs up saying Layaway starts August 28th, 2015. It ends in the middle of December, can’t remember the exact date. But they’re advertising it now.

kAREN October 23, 2015 at 7:27 am

I have used Walmart’s layaway in the past and was glad to see that it is back again this year. That being said, I wish that they would rethink their $10.00 minimum per item rule. My grandson is 4 and wants smaller items too that are $3 to $7 each. I can understand a minimum total purchase price but not the per item. I think that they would find that they would have more people take advantage of layaway. Plus, some people who have 3 or 4 children (or more) maybe can only afford a few $5.00 per child and this is not beneficial to them.

Jessica November 2, 2015 at 12:14 pm

im wondering if Walmart or kmart is better for layaway? I am a single mom on a very tight budget, doesn’t really need clothes but I was looking at more like a bike, scooter, ps3 and toys maybe some bedroom stuff?

Lori November 3, 2015 at 9:24 am

great question! If you have a Kmart nearby, and can combine that with a free Shop Your Way account (go here to sign up and I can help you to navigate the site) http://syw.co/MOREWITHLESS. You will get free point offers, earn points on your purchases, and I will send you extra coupons. My readers really save all year long. Once we are connected at Shop Your Way, you can send me a private message and I will help you to find the lowest prices for your gifts. I love to do this for my readers!

Jillayne November 6, 2015 at 12:15 pm

I was going to put a heated mattress pad $38 and boots $29 for my daughter in layaway and couldn’t because WalMart said they were not allowed. It’s great if you only want to put toys in for kids but for the older ones, these (needed) items is what I wanted to pay on. Bad business and very rude manager.

Kel August 17, 2016 at 4:35 pm

When does the Christmas layaway for Walmart start this year 2016? They usually have signs up by now in store and on the site but I have yet to see any..any info would be great. Thanks!

Paula August 21, 2016 at 6:14 pm

Any word on the 2916 layaway? I heard 2 Sept, but I haven’t seen anything! Thanks!

Lori August 21, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I heard the same thing but unconfirmed so far. I plan to call a few stores this week and see if they can tell me.

Kat August 22, 2016 at 12:34 am

Layaway starts Sept 2, 2016 for customers.

Kelli August 22, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Layaway starts Sept. 2 2016…it was posted at my walmart on the door..so ready to do some Christmas shopping lol…seen a lot of new stuff for my 19 month old I wanna get!!

Rachel August 23, 2016 at 12:09 pm

definetly need to bring back walmart layaway. especialy for people that are not able to pay total price at one time. it will be easier for them to make payments. hopefully yall can bring it back.

Max August 25, 2016 at 8:20 pm

ARE they going to price match for layaway

Lori August 25, 2016 at 9:13 pm

great question Max- I am going to find out here and report back.