Have your heard about cash mobs? This is a grass roots activity with local people committed to supporting local businesses in their community who meet up and agree to spend $20 supporting a local merchant.
I love this idea and the media has caught on too. Is there a struggling merchant in your town who could use some support? Are we going to be a county of all chain stores with no local flavor? Support the mom and pop stores in your town, meet some new people and get some retail therapy for a good cause! Here is a website that I found with tips for organizing a cash mob:
Want to Start a Cash Mob?
So you want to start a Cash Mob? Here are some tips for getting started!
- Get a Cash Mob twitter handle. We recommend something like “CM_____” where “_____” is the name of your city. This makes it easier for people to find you. For example, if they want to mob in, say, San Diego, they look for @cmsandiego.
- Figure out the business you want to mob according to these handy dandy rules.
- Talk to the business owner and set that mob up.
- Talk to a bar or restaurant owner nearby and get them to sign on for the aftermob.
- Set up a Facebook invitation. Trust us. Even if you hate Facebook, this is a great way to get information out to people.
- Contact the local media and tell them what you’re doing, then see if they’ll run a piece on your mob.
- Partner with any local community or civic organizations you can find. They will help you get the word out and bring people to the event.
- Work with the city if you can. At the very least, alert the city manager (or equivalent) of what you’re doing and see if you need to get permits, etc.
- If you have any questions, email us!
At the mob, there are three rules:
- Spend $20;
- Meet three people you didn’t know before;
- HAVE FUN!
Visit the website here and read the comments of others who have done this to help you in your planning. Please let us know your experience so I can update this post. I give you permission to spend!
Any affiliate posts are always at no additional cost to you. When you use the links at MWLT, sometimes I earn a small referral commission and this helps to cover the costs of my blog and keep this resource free. Thank you for being part of my community of SMART shoppers who LOVE to SAVE money!
Sharing what you find useful with friends and family helps this community to grow. The sharing buttons below make it EASY! Here they are in order: post it to Facebook, post it to Twitter, add it to LinkedIn, post it to Google PLUS, post it to StumbeUpon, send it by email, or print it out.
I will follow you back, and support and share your ideas too!