Buying Pet Food and Pet Supplies on a Budget
We love our furry friends, but at More with Less Today
we need to find ways to stretch our dollars for all of our important purchases.
Here are a few ideas for buying pet food and pet supplies on a budget. Please send a comment if you have additional money-saving tips to share!
1. Track the price of your food and stock up when it is on sale. If your fussy feline only eats Fancy Feast, then buy it on sale, with coupons and stock up!
2. Join the rewards programs at all the pet stores and places where you buy your pet food. Often the large pet stores will take each other’s coupons. Ask the manager and show up with your competitors coupons.
3. Ask if the store where you buy your pet food if they will match competitors pricing. If you see a lower price in print, bring it the ad to your store and ask them to match the lower price.
4. Check the prices and try ordering your pet food and supplies online at sites like Wag.com
, or PetFoodDirect.com
. Sign up for their emails and stock up when there is a sale. Whenever possible, order enough to get free shipping.
5. For crates, dog houses, gates, ramps, and other large supplies, check Craigslist or Freecycle in your area for items that others may no longer need. Check to see if there is a pet thrift store or Animal Rescue League store in your area. Pick up great secondhand items and help to rescue pets in your area.
6. If you are a fan of a brand of pet food, or pet product, let the company know. You may get sent coupons as a thank you. Send the company an email or post a happy note on their Facebook page and include a picture of your pet for extra brownie points!
7. Try Groupon
and other daily deals sites for pet services such as boarding, doggy day care, obedience training grooming, pet accessories, pet sitting, and more. I also recommend LivingSocial
. Use the search feature and type in “pets” to see what is offered in your area.
8. Want to try making your own pet food? You can search online for homemade pet food recipes and cut costs. I recommend checking with your vet first to make sure your pet will be getting the nutrients they need. For pets with allergies, making your own food can be much cheaper than the premium brands of food. You can make a large batch and freeze it. Check out Yahoo groups dedicated to pets for more tips.
9 . Follow your favorite brands and favorite pet stores on Facebook and Twitter. You will often see “fan only” deals.
10. If you pet needs a prescription, you can get the RX filled at Walmart, Kroger stores, and Costco. You can also buy pet medication such as flea and heartworm medications at sites such as PetCareR
s ®, and VetDepot
11. I provide a free Grocery Coupon database
on More with Less Today. Just type in “pet food” or your specific brand and you will be directed to all available coupons. If they can be found in a Sunday circular, my database will tell you which coupon insert the coupon appears in and the date it appeared. You can also print out many of them right from my blog. It is a wonderful time and money saver for my readers.
Here are a few coupons to help you to buy pet food and pet supplies on a budget: (find more in the free database above!)
Petco Coupon – FREE Friskies or Fancy Feast Can Cat Food + More
Doggy Loots – Receive Daily Deals on food, toys, treats and more for your dog!
If you’re looking for savings on pet medicine be sure to check out Pet Care Rx.
$10 Off $50 Purchase + Free Shipping at Petco with codes PALSWELCOME50 and FS49 until 1/1/2104.
8% Off Entire Purchase at Petsmart with code BUYER until 10/23/13.
If you’re looking for indoor potty options for your pet check out PetZoom Pet Park Indoor Pet Potty.
Free Social Network Site for your pets at YouPet.com.
$5 Off PetSmart Grooming Services WYB $25 or more in PetSmart Gift Cards
: Pet Freebies thanks to Surviving the Stores!
:: FREE Sample of Minties
:: FREE Sample of Sheba Cat Food (Sam’s Club Members)
:: FREE Kids Guide to Helping Animals Magazine
:: FREE Animal Wellness Magazine 1-Year Digital Subscription
:: FREE DuMOR Belt Buckle & Bag of Feed (with sign up
:: FREE Banfield Pet Exam
:: Free Sample of BARF Food (send to friend or family)
:: Free Bag of World’s Best Cat Litter After Rebate
:: Free Puppy Potty Training Booklet.
:: Free Bottle of AKC Gold with Mail-In Rebate
:: Free Sample Voucher from The Honest Kitchen
:: Free Nordic Naturals Vitamin Packs Sample (look on the very bottom of the Nordic website)