Let’s help to give these moms a voice. Please use these hashtags #MDGmomentum and #commit2deliver when you share.
- Each day an estimated 800 mothers and 18,000 young children die from largely preventable causes.
- More than 1 million babies die on their first and only day of life across the world, and 2.9 million in their first month.
- The newborn crisis is much bigger than we may think, with a staggering 1.2million stillbirths occurring during childbirth.
- More than half of these maternal and under-fives deaths take place in locations beset by a high risk of conflict and/or natural disasters.
- 40 million women give birth without any skilled help – that’s more than 100,000 women every day.
- Even more dramatically, 2 million women a year are entirely alone when giving birth.
- Investing in mothers works. Maternal deaths and child mortality in the most challenging countries of the world are being dramatically cut when efforts are made to improve services for mothers and children.
- Preventable: We can stop this. Many of these deaths are preventable if the mother-to-be had a trained midwife to help them give birth safely
- Equality: Newborn mortality rates can only be reduced through fairer distribution of essential health services and through universal healthcare access; this means making these more available to the poorest and most marginalized families, as well as to communities living in rural areas.
Children are our future and are the most vulnerable, especially in areas of conflict and poverty. Visit http://www.savethechildr