Have you ever wondered why your glasses cost so much at your optometrist’s office? Well it’s because you’re paying mainly for rent, labor, marketing, designer licensing fees, and a huge markup.
When you’re looking for a new pair of glasses that are fashionable yet won’t break the bank it’s hard to decide on the best place to start. Fortunately, I’ve done some research and have come up with some good suggestions.
The first decision you have to make is whether you are comfortable making some of the fitting adjustments yourself. If you don’t feel equipped then I would suggest one of the brick and mortar stores that I’ve selected below. If you are confident in your mechanical abilities you can save even more and order them online.
How to Get Discounts on Eyeglasses:
- Walmart has a pretty large selection of frames on hand at most of their stores. $38.00 is the typical price you pay, and they almost always have a technician on hand that will fit your new frames for you.
- JCPenney frequently runs promotions like two pairs for $99 or 60% off a single pair. Their sales change every couple weeks, so call ahead or look online to see what their current offers are.
- Costco only sells to members, but if you are one you can get a good price on a pair of glasses.
- Sears has an optical center at most locations where they run sales on a relatively frequent basis. Right now they are running a buy one get one free sale.
Online retailers reduce prices by working directly with frame and lens manufacturers. After you order, lenses are cut and molded into your frame and shipped directly to you. They keep markups low to compete with all of the other online retailers. Here are some that have a good reputation:
- At Goggles4U.com You can get a complete pair of eyeglasses i.e. Frame + Lenses including shipping for about $20
- Zenni can ship your entire order for $4.95 and most orders delivered in 7 to 14 business days.
- Warby Parker has designer glasses. They will send you 5 frames to try on and let you order your favorite. It takes less than a week to get you new glasses after you order. They have a 30-day money back guarantee too.
- Glasses Shop will sell you a pair of single vision glasses with an anti-scratch coating and UV protection for $46.68. They have a helpful ordering tutorial and a money back guarantee.
- Peeper Spec. sells most pairs for $21 with free shipping on orders over $42. They have over 500 options and a 30-day money back guarantee.
If you order online, check their return policy in case you are not satisfied with your new eyeglasses. Do you have any other tips to share for how to get discounts on eyeglasses online and in stores?