Here is a complete guide to layaway stores. Read on to learn about layaway plans, 2018 edition. Some stores offer layaway only in the store while others make it available online too.
Many readers use layaway for Christmas gifts to shop for their gifts early and pay a little over time without using credit cards or paying interest.
We have affiliate relationships which means we may earn a small referral commission at no additional cost to you if you shop using our links.
More with Less Today tip – if there is a hot toy that may be hard to come by as it gets closer to the holidays, put it on layaway early and avoid the last-minute hassle.
Navigate This Article
What is Layaway?
If you are new to layaway plans, typically you put down a percentage of the purchase price which holds your items and then you make payments within a specific time frame, usually between 8 and 12 weeks. You then pick up your items when your layaway is paid in full.
Walmart’s layaway program began on August 31st and will run through December 10, 2018. The terms for payments can be found in-store at any Walmart Pickup Desk. There is no initial service fee, but a down payment of either $10 or 10% of the purchase – whichever is greater – is required when you set up the layaway program.
Layaway is available for electronics, toys, infant toys, infant furniture, large furniture, auto electronics, select sporting goods, small appliances and jewelry, but excludes wireless phones that require contracts. Some stores offer year-round layaway on jewelry purchases. It excludes food and wireless phones with contracts.
Here are the rules for Walmart Holiday Layaway in 2018:
- Everything is done in the store; there is no online layaway option.
- There is no service fee to open a layaway.
- Each of the layaway items must cost at least $10, and your purchase must total $50 or more.
- Layaway items are initially set up and then later picked up at the Walmart Pickup Desk. You can make payments at any register in the store.
- There is a cancellation fee of $10 in many states.
- Layaway is not available on Thanksgiving, November 22
- Final payments must be made on or before December 10 at the same store location where you set up your layaway contract or the order will be canceled.
Find out more information about Walmart Layaway for 2018.
More with Less Today tip – you can use coupons for layaway items.
At Burlington Coat Factory, shoppers have the option to use layaway all year long. It is available for in-store shopping online and not online. Merchandise may be put on layaway for 60 days. Take your layaway merchandise to the customer service desk.
Baby Depot is a division of Burlington Coat Factory. The Baby Depot division sells various brands of discounted car seats, baby clothing, cribs, changing tables, baby furniture, gliders, and nursery essentials.
Baby Depot has a year-round 90-day in-store layaway program.
Here are the rules for Burlington Coat Factory/Baby Depot Layaway 2018:
- For in-store purchases only
- Service fee: $5, plus tax where applicable
- Down payment: 20% – an additional 20% payment is due 14 days from purchase date
- Cancellation fee: $10, plus tax where applicable upon any change to a layaway or if layaway is returned to stock
- Refunds of layaway deposits are given the form of a gift card and not a cash refund.
- Restrictions: No food products
Get more information about layaway at Burlington Coat Factory.
GameStop offers layaway on select items, which include video game hardware and/or accessories ad more. Due to legal restrictions, however, it is not available at GameStop in the District of Columbia or Maryland.
Here are the rules for the Game Stop Layaway 2018:
- Only available during the holidays
- For in-store purchases on certain game systems
- Service fee: None
- $25 deposit is needed to begin a layaway contract – it is refundable
- Payment: Guests can trade in video game items during the layaway program and allocate the proceeds from that trade as their $25 down payment
- Pickup: Must be made where the layaway was initiated
- No scheduled payments required, weekly or bi-weekly payments are encouraged
Marshalls offers layaway in some of its stores. Use the store locator on the Marshalls website to locate a participating store near you (noted by a hanger icon).Of the select stores with layaway, your merch must be paid off and picked up within 30 days. Layaway is not offered on jewelry, items that have been marked down, food items and furniture. Questions? You can ask customer service at 1-888-627-7425.
The entire layaway must be picked up or canceled within the 30-day period. Please note that jewelry, items that have been marked down, food items and furniture cannot be placed on layaway. In addition, other restrictions may apply. See stores for details.
Here are the rules for Marshalls Layaway 2018:
- For in-store purchases only, and layaway is only offered at select locations
- Minimum payment amounts may vary by state
- Create fee: $5 (nonrefundable, may vary by state)
- Down payment: $10 or 10%, whichever is greater
- Cancellation fee: $5 in most states
- Pickup: Items must be picked up or canceled within the 30-day period
Find out more information about Marshalls Layaway for 2018 or contact your local store.
T.J. Maxx stores that offer layaway are indicated by a little clothing hanger icon in their store locator. Items must be paid in full and picked up within 30 days. And the layaway details vary by location, so it’s best to call customer service at 1-800-926-6299 to get the scoop before you shop.
Here are the rules for the T.J. Maxx Layaway 2018:
- For in-store purchases only
- Service fee: Varies by location
- Down payment: $15 or 10%, whichever is greater
- Cancellation fee: $0
- You will have up to 30 days to make payments
The service fee may not be the same in all locations so it is a good idea to contact your local store for more information.
Buckle is a leading retailer of medium to better–priced casual apparel, footwear, and accessories for fashion–conscious young men and women. The Company currently operates over 450 stores in 44 states, under the names Buckle and The Buckle. They offer a wide selection of brand names and private label casual apparel, including denims, other casual bottoms, tops, sportswear, outerwear, accessories and footwear.
Buckle offers an in-store layaway service which allows our guests to reserve merchandise with a required minimum 20% deposit down. Merchandise put on layaway is kept in the guest’s local Buckle store until the balance is paid off in full.
Here are the rules for Buckle Layaway 2018:
- For in-store purchases only
- Available year-round
- There are no service fees or interest charges applied to creating or canceling a layaway
- Down payment minimum 20%
- One payment per two weeks is suggested. Your balance must be cleared within 60 days or the merchandise will be placed back on the sales floor.
SEARS and KMART Update
October 18 update- in light of the Sears bankruptcy filing, here is an article from USA Today that talks about what you should do if you have a current layaway at Sears (or Kmart).
I don’t feel confident at this time to recommend starting a new layaway at Sears or Kmart. I would love to be wrong and have them find a way to survive and thrive but until then, I am going to cross through my post.
Layaway at Kmart is available in-store and online. You can pick up your items in-store or schedule your pickup online. Layaway is only available at select locations and is not available for certain items, like flammable products, magazines, prescriptions, cigarettes, photos, and food. All available layaway items at Kmart will be identified when you view them on the Kmart website. Layaway merchandise will be returned to stock seven days after a missed payment. Here are the rules for Kmart Layaway in 2018: Add your layaway eligible items to your cart online. If shopping in the store, go to the layaway counter. Make a down payment (currently $10) which includes the service fee. This is due when you initiate your contract. Requires 4 bi-weekly payments for an 8-week contract or 6 bi-weekly payments for a 12-week contract. Maryland, Washington D.C., online and mobile offer 8-week contracts only. 12-week layaway option available on purchases of $300 or more. Find out more information about Kmart Layaway for 2018. More with Less Today tip – join the free Shop Your Way program and watch for more layaway related offers from Kmart in the days ahead. You will get 12.5% cashback in points on completion of layaway. Layaway at Sears is available in-store and online, and payments can be made in either place. Pickups can be made in-store or they can be delivered. Layaway contracts can be canceled at the store where you set up your contract. Contracts are automatically canceled after a seven-day grace period of missing your payment. Find layaway eligible items on the individual product pages. Here are the rules for Sears Layaway in 2018: 8-week contract: for online and in-store purchases Only $10 or 10% down to start a new contract Layaway contracts are 8 weeks. For purchases of $400+, a 12-week option is available in store. Except where prohibited, an 8-week contract requires a $5 service fee and a 12-week layaway contract requires a $10 service free Payments: every two weeks online or at any store register Once your last payment is made, pick up your items or schedule your pickup online Find out more information about Sears Layaway for 2018. More with Less Today tip – join the free Shop Your Way program and watch for more layaway related offers from Sears and Kmart in the days ahead. Plus you will get 12.5% cashback in points on completion of layaway.
Readers have emailed that these stores also offer layaway but we have not been able to verify them via their websites at the time of posting.
Knowing that we want to be your layaway experts, readers have let us know that several regional jewelry stores and furniture stores offer layaway so be sure to ask before your purchase! If you learn of other stores offering layaway, be sure and tell us in the comments so that everyone can benefit.